Tuesday, December 23, 2008

OLAC and Its Newsletter

Yesterday, I received my print version of the OLAC (Online Audiovisual Catalogers) Newsletter. As usual, it’s chock full of stuff that’s incredibly interesting to catalogers.

This is the first issue since OLAC’s conference in Cleveland and there are minutes of meetings plus reports of the conference programs. Conference coverage doesn’t fit into one issue, so the remainder will be included in the next Newsletter.

Fortunately, you don’t have to be an OLAC member to read all about the Conference, book reviews, and other OLAC news. The Newsletters are available to everyone on the OLAC website.

While reading the Newsletter, I learned that the OLAC website had been moved, so I updated the link on the CMRLS Catalogers’ Professional Organizations page. I also learned that CAPC (OLAC’s Cataloging Policy Committee) has just completed its Guide to Cataloging Playaway Devices, so I added a link to it on the CMRLS Catalogers Sites page.

In fact, I revised the page slightly since CAPC has produced lots of useful training materials. I included a link to their entire page.

One of the real treats of the OLAC Newsletter is the section called Cataloger’s Judgment: Questions and Answers compiled by Jay Weitz of OCLC. These are the questions that catalogers have every day as they go about their work of trying to organize the world’s output so that people can find what they're looking for. If you catalog non-book materials, Jay’s column is a “must read”.

But then, so is the entire OLAC Newsletter.

No comments: