Thursday, December 31, 2009

Help for Serials Catalogers

I spent one summer working on a retrospective conversion project at Mount Holyoke College. Besides working in a beautiful library surrounded by lush lawns and shade trees, I had the good fortune to experience serials cataloging.

It was rather scary at first, but I had great support from two experienced serials catalogers and I learned a lot. Soon I began looking at the process like a jigsaw puzzle - putting all of the pieces together to create a larger picture that others could recognize.

Slowly, I've been building a list of helpful sites for serials catalogers. Today, I added three more sites. They are

MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data from the Network Development and MARC Standards office of the Library of Congress;

Primer: MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data, a 24-page pamphlet in .pdf from OCLC; and

Guidelines for Recording Serial Holdings handy help from Yale University.

If you're not already familiar with these resources, I hope you find them helpful. If I were still cataloging serials, I suspect I would refer to them on a regular basis.

Do you have a favorite site that I've not yet discovered? Please let me know.

No comments: